Spaghetti con le vongole
Nowhere else you will find a better spaghetti with clams than on the Amalfi Coast. It is a must, it is a certainty, it is one of our signature dishes. I learned this recipe from my mum when I was a child, but the most important thing are the ingredients. Fresh clams and fragrant ruby red tomatoes are essential.
Mamma Flora’s Tip: The quality of the spaghetti is very important, try our MAMMA FLORA spaghetti. We use only unrefined Italian semolina, made with bronze dies and they are slowly dried at low temperature. Finish the cooking of the spaghetti in the sauce for extra flavour.
- 400g MAMMA FLORA spaghetti (buy it online or check which shops sell them next to you)
- 300g very fresh clams (check they are still alive when you buy them)
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pot
- 1 pan
- Start by washing very well the clams
- Place a pan with 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil, half a chili, 1 garlic clove and gently fry until the garlic becomes golden brown
- Add the clams, cover and simmer at medium - high heat until the clams open and are just cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat. Discard any clams that don't open. The sauce in the pan should be quite liquid as we will finish the cooking of the spaghetti inside
- With the help of a spoon take out the clams from the shell, placing them back in the pan. Save some shells for decoration.
- In the meantime place a big pot of water to boil (1 liter per 100g of pasta). When boiling, add the spaghetti and salt
- Wash and Half the tomatoes
- Cook the spaghetti until 4 min before the instructions.
- In the meanwhile heat gently the sauce and add the tomatoes.
- Drain the spaghetti directly in the sauce, we will finish the cooking of the spaghetti directly in the pan. Regulate the heat while cooking, the final result should be a creamy sauce, not too liquid but not dry as well (if you see it becomes too dry, add some cooking water back in)
- Serve with fresh parsley and some shells as decoration