Serves: 5 people
This is one of the most famous dishes from Naples, it is amazingly simple and delicious. It is perfect as a main but when I prepare a buffet for a get together with friends, my gatto is always the first to go!
Mamma Flora’s Tip: use your favourite cured meat so that the potatoes are enriched with the flavour of it. I personally love mortadella, it’s so tasty and smells so good. The best one is with pistachio inside.
If you have leftovers, you can easily heat it in a pan adding one tablespoon of water or sometimes I eat it cold, really delicious!
100gr mortadella or ham or salame
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (fan)
- In a pot, boil some water and add the potatoes not yet peeled
- Let them cook until you can put a knife through them smoothly (more or less 30min)
- Drain the water and wait for them to cool, once cooled peel them and mash them in a bowl
- Add the egg, the butter, grate the parmesan and salt it as per taste. I also grind some pepper in the mixture
- Now the fun part! Use your hands to mix everything, start adding the milk and feel the texture of the mixture. It needs to be soft at touch so if you need to add more milk, feel free.
- Butter the oven tray everywhere and sprinkle on it some bread crumbs to form a thin layer.
- Divide the potato mix in two, place the first half at the bottom, add a layer of scamorza and mortadella or your favourite cured meat. Cover with the second half.
- Finish up by sprinkling bread crumbs and adding small pieces of butter on top.
- Bake for 45min. Serve at room temperature and enjoy!