Fried artichokes - a "must" for Easter
Serves: 4 people
When you come from the South artichokes mean Easter. From mid March you see them in every grocery shop and you smell them in the little streets. My grandmother used to make them this way following the traditional recipe that I want to share with you today.
Try them for your Easter lunch, it will be a success!
Mamma Flora’s Tip: When you cook the artichokes, cut them and leave them at least 30min in a bowl of water with slices of lemon so that they don’t blacken.
- 4 artichokes
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon
- 15 tablespoons peanut oil to fry
- white flour
- Remove the outside leaves until you reach the heart of the artichoke
- Cut the heart in slices of 1cm
- Place them in a bowl full of water with slices of a lemon
- Leave them for about 25-30min
- In the meantime whisk the eggs with some salt and lots of parmesan
- Place the oil in the pan at medium heat and wait for it to reach frying temperature
- Dry the artichokes slices with kitchen towels
- Place some flour in a flat plate and flour each slice with it
- Let’s check that the oil is ready, pour a little bit of flour in the oil if it forms small bubbles we can start frying
- Take the slices with flour and dip them in the eggs you whisked before, I use my hands but you can use a fork
- Then one by one place them in the frying oil and fry each side 2min
- Dry them with kitchen paper and serve warm!