Once again I was walking through the farmers market and I found some beautiful broad beans grown in the UK. I called my mum and ran home to prepare a fragrant broad beans summer crema for lunch.
Mamma Flora’s Tip: you can also serve it as a starter. Take your time to shell the broad beans as it’s pleasantly therapeutic
- 80 broad beans with pods
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ red onion (to garnish)
- ½ glass of water
- salt and pepper
- Ice (for the preparation)
- 1 pot
- 1 pan
- 1 electric wand
- 2 bowls
- Shell the broad beans
- Cut the onion in thin slices and place them in a pan with less than 1 table spoon of oil. Fry them until crispy
- Take them out and use the same pan to fry some bread cubes with rosemary and 1 tablespoon of olive oil until crunchy
- Boil some water and when boiling, blanch the broad beans for 1 minute
- Prepare a bowl full of ice and cold water
- Drain the broad beans and place them in a bowl on top of the one full of ice. Thanks to this process, the cooking process will stop instantly, preserving the shiny green colour of the broad beans
- Pop the broad beans out of their skins, the inside of the the beans is of a beautiful shiny green
- In the same bowl purée them with an electric wand. When pureeing, make a up and down movement to incorporate the air.
- While pureeing add the water, the oil, salt and pepper.
- Serve with bread crumbs and fried onions on top, add some extra virgin olive oil and enjoy