Cooking: 15 min
I grew up by the sea and I love seafood! Lately I discover that in London you can find the tastiest mussels, coming directly from the wild coasts. So here an Italian recipe from my mum applied to a great British product!
Mamma Flora’s Tip: mussels are very delicious but before cooking them, there is a little bit of preparation to do in case they are not pre cleaned from the fisherman. So place the mussels in a colander and run cold water on top. Rinse and scrub to get rid of seaweed and rip the debris you can find on the side of the mussels. Now the mussels are ready to be cooked!
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
half a glass of white wine (optional)
bread at your choice
- In a pan put the oil with the garlic and the chilli, fry slightly
- When you think the soffritto is ready (when you smell the garlic), place the mussels cleaned before in the pan and cover for 5 min at medium heat before adding the optional wine, see below. Otherwise continue cooking for 7-8min more
- Wine optional - then at high heat pour the wine in the pan, wait that the alcohol evaporates (1-2min), lower the heat again and if necessary cover again for 6-7 more minutes
- In the meantime toast few slices of bread
- You understand that the mussels are ready when they are all open
- Serve placing the bread first in the dish then add the mussels and the sauce on top: Yum!