When I was studying abroad my mum prepared for me and my friends her favourite sauce placing it in vacuum jars. We literally used to stock hundreds of jar and after a busy day at uni or at work we would eat a tasty Italian pasta with her sauce. That's her way to still share her love for food even if we don't eat at the same table.
Mamma Flora’s Tip: olives and capers are essential in this recipe, make sure they taste very good. I usually use the black gaeta olives, try to find them at your Italian deli, otherwise there are some greek ones, the kalamata which might do the job.
500gr pasta, rigatoni or penne
2 pelati tomatoes tins of 250gr each
100gr of black olives
40gr of capers
3 tablespoons extra virgin oil
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
- In a pan pour 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic and the chilli and gently fry
- After few minutes, when you start smelling the soffritto, add the pelati. Stir and salt it per your taste
- Let it cook at low-medium heat for about 15min and then add the olives, the capers and the basil and continue cooking for 5 more min
- In the meantime boil the water in a pot, salt it and cook the pasta al dente
- Drain the pasta very well, pour back in the pot and add the sauce on top, stir it so that the penne are covered with sauce
- Sprinkle the pasta with parmesan and enjoy this simple but super tasty pasta!